Things I Like


In no particular order, here are a few things I like right now:

1. Audible.  Yes, I have totally embraced listening to audiobooks because there are only so many podcasts and songs one can listen to.  Recent listens: Rebecca, and Strong Poison (a Lord Peter Wimsey mystery).

2. Netflix.  There's so much content now that there's nothing to watch.  Or, should I say who wants to be bothered to slog through their library.  That said, recent shows that I have enjoyed: Grand Designs, and Stranger (Secret Forest).  Stranger is a Korean murder mystery drama that had me hooked until the last episode.  It is quite handy that Netflix now has a download feature so I took advantage of this all summer long and watched this show during daycare pickup.

3. Cooking.  I am back at it, after being over it for the past few years.  I was a chef instructor in my last life, and my husband is a chef, and oh the irony.  But, such is life.  I have been inspired by this website: food52.com.  Some recent makes were Chocolate Espresso Cookies and Citrus Olive Oil cake for the staff at my son's now former daycare.  A few cookies may have made their way into the freezer for emergency dessert purposes...

4. Crafting.  This has been ramping up to the point where I actually might be able to make things again.  Soon.  And I want to make so many things.  My son is heading to preschool and I think I've figured out a way to get my husband to watch the baby while he's home.  Anyhoo, one of my recent completions was only going to made once more, and once more has happened.  Thanks for the memories, pattern:



And, finally

5. Going all in on me, aka showing up for me.  I put in all of me to keep my little crew functioning,  and this has led to frustration, unhappiness, and some anger.  Most of this is just me functioning at a high level with blinkers on, but I've burned out.  I am burned out.  This can be typical of many special needs parents because of the constant need to schedule, advocate, talk to, organize, deal with, paper, argue for... it's a whole lot.  Plus, there's also the baby.  And while my son is the better for my efforts, I am drained.  So, rather than continuing to sink under the weight of familial responsibility, I am now going to prioritize personal needs and be the better for it.  Of course it helps that everyone is mostly settled in their places, so here's hoping the next few months are going to find me less intense.

I was recently going through my library and became reacquainted with the Love Jones soundtrack:



Comments

  1. Loving that you are on the path to yourself/showing up for yourself! So many changes for you over the past few years and now you are settled in and building the life you want. Yay you!!! Food52. So inspiring in so many ways - I don't get to read it a lot, but I do follow it on FB and check the most interesting stuff out when I ca :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts