Phooey for Pullovers

I should know better, I really should: my kid is a member of the Big Head Club along with his mom (me) and his dad. I also have the added bonus of big hair which makes pulling my head through fitted holes (sounds so dirty- what a potty mouth) require that I wear a bandana if I want to keep my hairstyle in tact.

But, back to my kid.

In my last post I mentioned trying to meet the self-imposed deadline of today, V day, to finish a little red sweater for my boy. Well, let me tell you. First, yes it's done. And second, it looks a little crazy. After joining the sleeves to the body, I began to decrease to pull in the fabric for the neck. And as I was going along there was a point at which I was reminded that recently himself couldn't wear yet another top because his head was too big to get through the neck opening comfortably. 

(Unlike adults, babies are not fond of squeezing into clothes for the sake of fashion. Their (loud) protests make perfect sense actually.)

So here I am knitting along and trying to figure out if my now 5 month old is going to be able to get this 12 month sized sweater on (because the smallest size was for 6 months and he's wearing that size clothing this second and the numbers for the 12 month size weren't reassuringly that much more). And the schematics were of no help. And other people's projects on Ravelry were of no help. And I was over this sweater already since I had this stupid "deadline" and I still needed to figure out how to kitchener and do a sewn bind off, and my kid was going to wake up soon, and I was waiting on an Amazon Prime delivery. 

So I made a decision as to where to stop. Did that.  Regrouped. Figured out how to do the special bind off. Wove in the ends. Kitchenered the underarms. Met the Amazon guy (and my kid didn't even wake up when the buzzer rang- oh the cruelty). And as a result have an over exaggerated boat neck sweater- not the most perfect garment, but the best for the moment. 

Now, if you look at the design of the neck opening of this onesie, it's perfect and that's how I am going to sort of "fold and tuck" the opening of the sweater around his neck so that there's no struggle and maybe he can actually get some wear out of this. 



Of course now I am on the hunt for cute fasteners...



I'll be starting his and my Rhinebeck (New York Sheep and Wool Festival) CARDIGAN sweaters this spring... Until then, I hope to finish up a blanket I meant to finish in August and a pair of socks. Laughably I thought I could knit a pair a month, but did you know that there are lots and lots of tiny stitches that go into making socks... 

Slow and steady. 

May EVERY day be Valentine's...



Comments

Popular Posts