It's almost 2019...

How is this possible?  And, man has it been a year...

~We left our tiny and increasingly uncomfortable LES apartment for a bigger apartment and better weather CA!
~Settled into life as a family of four.
~My toddler started preschool!
~And, I am on an active journey of betterment!

Yet, this year has also gone in directions I could have never anticipated. That we're here and not in Japan, as I would have liked and was planning for at the end of 2017, is a big one.  And, me shifting work gears is another.

My last job before motherhood was as a chef-instructor.  Then, I went out and got a certificate to teach English as a Second Language over the span of my older child's babyhood and a second pregnancy.  Side note: TO say that it was uncomfortable fitting into desks with a huge belly is both an understatement and comical.  And now, I am launching myself again.

Before I had baby #2, I was doing online tutoring.  And it had moments of awesomeness and moments of meh.  Sometimes to pick up hours, on this website that I had hooked up with, you have to be available to accept  any call that comes in.  This ranged from the interested to the prank callers, from the free trial peoples to the clearly committed students.  And my limited availability didn't give me the freedom to reach a range of students.  Well, sometimes it feels like one should go with the devil you know, then try something new so I had been giving tutoring a go again...

However as I began to go through the process of trying to refresh my profile and get started again, it occurred to me to ask myself if I wanted more of the same.  I am now three hours behind the east coast, and again have limited availability because of childcare, so I would be going down the same path again.  I'm not feeling that...  Now let me be clear here that my husband isn't pushing me in any sort of direction on the subject or working except for the mandate "to be happy" and that he'll support me.  AS if he has a choice!! HA!!  So bearing in mind that I want to introduce more ease into my life,  and to keep it KISS (not "Keep it simple, stupid" but "Keep it stupid simple-" thanks Tiffany Han for this!) I decided to consult the list that I have started on what success looks like for me.  Smiling and struggling through for not much money is NOT on this list.

What I do feel good about are two interests: a creative business and essentially fitness motivation, ie as a Beachbody Coach.  The creative business will feature handmade things- some hand-sewn items, a few things for kids, but also some personal care products, and this all feels good.  This is where my creative and life interests align right now.  And, in regards to the coaching I had given this idea a passing thought a few months back, but I just wasn't ready.  But, now I feel like "why not?"  I already do the workouts and talk about fitness so why not develop a business out of that.  Growing a little mini empire right here AND from home, which is key.

~~~~~

Anyhoo, just wanted to share a few more things that I am liking/thinking about these days:

1. My Thanksgiving menu   I put a lot of thought into how I wanted to make this year's Thanksgiving turkey, and settled on dry brining it.  I have to say, this was the best turkey I have ever eaten aside from a deep fried one a few years ago.  Juicy and well seasoned, I could not have asked for more.  Bonus?  My ten pounder was done in about 2 1/2 hours.  I also made cream cheese biscuits and I could have died.  I used to get them from the Whole Foods breakfast buffet back when we lived in Manhattan, and had been thinking about getting them back into my life (when you like something, you like it, lol).  This is a great recipe, and the layers. Oh, the layers.  Yum.  They'll be back for Christmas.  I dressed up Pepperidge Farm stuffing with some veggies, and my husband especially liked the addition of shiitake mushrooms.  The cranberry relish from Trader Joes was tasty but too sweet.  This was dealt with by adding wine!  My veggie side was mediocre so whatever, but for dessert I made some fun cookies.  Smothered cabbage soup for lunch. And delicious buns for the next day's breakfast.

2. Monty Don Loving all things British, Netflix has released episodes of a show called Big Dreams, Small Spaces.  Here's a taste:



I'm on the fence about home ownership, but I do want to garden.  I have put myself on a list for a little plot as part of our apartment community, but the waiting list is long. Until then, I can dream.

3. Cold Sheep  Or, using the materials that I have.  Though I got rid of a bunch of stuff when we moved, I am giving myself this upcoming year to make even more decisions about what I use versus don't.  I want a lighter load.  Questions I need to consider are: why am I not using this yarn, or fabric?  If I am looking around for more to add to what I already have on hand, where does the accumulation stop? Why am I looking?  Is it fear of missing out syndrome, or a genuine need?  Can I look without buying?  Perhaps I need to start from the point of view of what needs I am fulfilling with my making and within this parameter, finding the pattern that suits the yarn.  Shop the stash 2019!  Exception is for business purposes... but even then I want to use what I have.

4. Friends  This is a difficult one!  Who knew forging relationships as an adult could possibly be challenging.  But, so it goes.  I do appreciate the relationships that I am growing via the internet, but I am working on in-person.  My new step one is getting to know the parents of my son's classmates.  Fingers crossed as I have organized a playdate for this weekend.  My previous step one was trying with some parents who live in our complex.  Alas, not the right fit.


While I love the holiday season, Christmas music fills me with melancholy...








Comments

  1. I'm so pokey - just wanted to say that I also found it hard to make new friends in SoCal - everything/everyone was behind a wall. I was used to neighborhoods. You will eventually make some great friends - I'm sure of it. It just might take a little longer than you anticipated. And so glad that the business is going well - been following it on Instagram!!! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts